Code of Conduct
We started Shining Hearth Gathering with the goal of providing an open and welcoming environment for elfae-aligned (and -adjacent) beings of all stripes to enjoy presentations, fun activities, and each other's company. To further that goal and promote the safety and comfort of all participants, we request and require that all who attend the Gathering abide by this Code of Conduct.
When using the Shining Hearth Discord server, you also agree to abide by the Discord Community Guidelines.
We ask that you...
- Respect the rules of the individual rooms set up on the Discord server. This includes keeping conversations on the declared topic, if any, and refraining from posting NSFW content (see Definitions at the end of this page) in rooms that are not designated for it.
- Always consider how your speech and actions at the Gathering may affect other individuals and reflect on our community of other-folk.
- Respect different views and experiences.
- Use inclusive language, including gender-neutral pronouns (they/them) if you are uncertain or unaware of someone's preference.
- When in doubt, choose kindness.
The following are not acceptable at Shining Hearth. You agree that you will not...
- Post insulting or derogatory messages or content, or assume or promote inequality, based on any of the following (but not necessarily limited to these):
- Sexual orientation
- Gender identity or expression
- Race, ethnicity, or nationality (human or otherwise)
- Religion (human or otherwise)
- Socioeconomic status
- Physical or mental illness
- Body size
- Personal appearance
- Personal tastes
- Harass any participant, including staff. Harassment includes, but is not limited to: persistently disturbing or bothering someone; deliberately intimidating someone; coercion; making demands or threats; unwelcome sexual remarks or advances; making repeated attacks; stalking or following someone; disrupting presentations or other events.
- If someone clearly communicates a boundary in interacting with them, you are expected to respect that boundary immediately and take all reasonable actions to comply.
- If someone asks you to cease communicating with them or stop any harassing behavior, you are expected to comply immediately.
- Disagreements and debates may occur, but if any party wishes to withdraw from an argument, they have the right to do so without being pursued and harassed about it.
- Any attempt to have an innocent person sanctioned by falsely accusing them of harassment will be treated as an act of harassment in itself and dealt with accordingly.
- Engage in other threatening, offensive, or harmful behavior
- Post personally identifying information of any participant without their expressed and explicit permission. This includes, but is not limited to: legal names, physical addresses, email addresses, IP addresses, telephone numbers, photographs, and government-issued identification numbers.
- Disable, circumvent, or otherwise tamper with any security measures in place on Shining Hearth's online resources, including the Discord server.
- Place an unusual burden on Shining Hearth's online resources.
- Use Shining Hearth's Discord server or other online resources to instigate, facilitate, or otherwise contribute to any activities that are in violation of local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.
- Post any content that is illegal in the United States.
Shining Hearth is an 18+ event. The following are permitted, as long as it is in appropriate channels or contexts, within the limits of the Discord Community Guidelines:
- Strong language such as swearing (does NOT include slurs on race, sexual orientation, etc.)
- Sexually suggestive language (but not to be directed at another person unless they have expressed receptiveness to it)
- Discussion of disturbing or otherwise "adult" topics or experiences
- NSFW images only in channels that are marked as allowing them
Keep in mind "appropriate channels or contexts". Those who would prefer to avoid most "adult" content should generally be able to do so. Discussions of mature topics are allowed, but as a general rule, try to keep things to a level that would be appropriate for those around 16 years of age. If you are asked to stop using certain language or discussing a certain topic because you are making others uncomfortable, stop.
If you feel that someone's actions violate this Code of Conduct, please only report the situation by using Discord direct message to contact a moderator or the Gathering committee, or by sending an email to email@example.com.
Should an issue arise, staff will first attempt to communicate by direct message. For this reason, we strongly encourage all attendees to allow messages from Shining Hearth server members for the duration of the Gathering so that staff can reach them privately if it becomes necessary. If a user's privacy settings prevent this, however, we may issue warnings publicly or proceed directly to higher penalties.
The following penalties may be imposed, depending on the severity and/or number of incidents:
- Removal of specific messages or other content
- Banning from one or more channels, temporarily or permanently
- Banning from the server, temporarily or permanently
- Referral to Discord Trust and Safety Team
- Referral to law enforcement
Please note that Shining Hearth staff will not involve themselves in outside disputes between attendees. Shining Hearth Gathering may not be used as a point of leverage nor a stage for arguments that originated outside the space under our control.
You may appeal an action taken against you by a moderator by contacting the Gathering committee. All decisions of the committee are final.
We reserve the right to ban anyone who associates with or defends any harmful or hate group, including but not limited to: pedophiles/"MAPs", supremacists, or white nationalists.
Moderator: Volunteer staff charged with monitoring chat and other similar duties to ensure that all participants are following the Code of Conduct.
NSFW: "Not Safe For Work", that is, content that would be prohibited or inappropriate to view while at work. Also known as "mature content" or "explicit content". Includes, but is not necessarily limited to: sexually explicit material, strong violence or gore, and content referring to potentially illegal activities such as drug possession or use.
Organizing committee (Gathering committee, committee, we): The principal organizers of Shining Hearth, as named at the top of the Staff page.
Participant: Anyone involved or engaged with Shining Hearth in any capacity, including attendees, presenters, moderating staff, non-moderating staff, and the organizing committee.
Staff: Those responsible for Gathering operations, including both the organizing committee and the volunteers who assist with operations by doing things such as moderating channels (see Moderator above), helping with presenter setup, and providing audiovisual/tech assistance. (See the Staff page.)
Last updated: 12/29/20